by Deborah Manos
This is a classic and is served everywhere throughout Greece. Easy to make – fresh and quick. This was eating “raw” before it became a fad.
Traditional Greek salad is made with pieces of tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, onion, feta cheese, and Kalamata olives. Horiatiki is also typically seasoned with salt and oregano. In America, most Greek salads come with Greek dressing, but the traditional horiatiki is just simple olive oil.
Greek Salad Ingredients:
- 3 tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 large green peppers cut into rings
- 2 sliced cucumber
- 1 Sliced onion
- 6 tablespoons Greek virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/3 lb. Real Greek feta cheese (goat Feta is authentic)
- 2 dozen black Greek olives – Kalamata are the Taverna’s favorites
- Chopped or crumbled dried oregano or parsley
Place the tomatoes, cucumber, onion and peppers in a large salad bowl.
Shake together the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Pour the dressing over the salad.
Put on top the feta cheese, cut in squares and the olives.
Sprinkle with parseley or oregano.